Be honest, have you ever intentionally subscribed to a newsletter?! If you’re like most people, the answer is probably ‘no’. Why is it then, so many websites feature a ‘subscribe to our newsletter’ section? To me and so many others, this section totally screams ”SPAM!”. Sometimes they even ’promise‘ not to spam you – yeah right!
At the same time, we all know how important it is to grow our mailing list. Email marketing is one of the most effective ways to market your business, but it’s only valuable if you have people to email.
Hopefully, you have a list of customers you can email, but you need to grow your email marketing list by adding email addresses from website visitors. Website visitors are perfect targets because they’ve already shown interest in your product or service by visiting your website; they’ve shown intent.
So, how do we persuade website visitors to give us their email address? Well, you do exactly what we and so many other businesses do; you offer your visitors free value in the form of a lead magnet.
A lead magnet is something you give away for free or very little cost. It provides your visitors with something valuable and can take the form of a guide, template, video, webinar, course, or absolutely anything you can think of. You allow visitors to access your lead magnet in exchange for their email address.
For example, our ‘5 Website Mistakes That Are Costing You Money’ lead magnet (available on our website) has been very effective at getting visitors to provide us with their email address. And once we have their email address (and permission), we can start sending them email marketing campaigns.
Our lead magnet is one of the easiest lead magnets to make – a simple PDF. We made sure our lead magnet was relevant to our services and provided the reader with value. We’re confident if the reader implemented just one of our suggestions, they’d immediately improve their website and get more leads.
On our website, we added a section advertising our lead magnet, featuring an image, description, and form. When website visitors enter their details, an email is automatically sent to them with a link to the lead magnet. Delivery of the lead magnet also kicks off our followup emails, which are delivered automatically. We love marketing automation at Clear Brands Grow!
If you offer your visitors a free lead magnet that is truly valuable, your mailing list will start to grow! More importantly, your email marketing campaigns will reach more inboxes resulting in more leads and sales. Yay! And the best part? Your lead magnet is an asset that will keep growing your mailing list – even while you sleep!
So it’s time for you to start growing your email marketing list with your own lead magnet. Here are some steps & tips to help you:
- Come up with a list of possible lead magnet ideas that will appeal to your ideal customers. Great lead magnets typically solve a single, specific problem for your customers.
- Choose the best lead magnet idea (the idea website visitors will actually find useful) and make it. Don’t forget to give your lead magnet an attention-grabbing title!
- Promote your lead magnet on your homepage. Add a section which includes a picture and description of your lead magnet and a form allowing visitors to submit their first name and email address.
- Connect your form to your email marketing software. Ensure anyone who submits their email address gets sent an automated email with a link to your lead magnet.
- Make sure you follow up with potential customers by utilising nurture emails. Nurture emails help you continue the conversation away from your website so that you can build trust and position yourself as the expert before asking for the sale.
Don’t stop at one lead magnet! If you have the time and resources, create lead magnets for the different customers you serve, as a single lead magnet won’t appeal to everyone.
Get started on creating your own lead magnet! The sooner you have it finished and advertised on your website, the quicker you will start growing your email marketing list. The quicker that happens the quicker you’ll get more leads and sales!
If you need help creating a lead magnet that appeals to your ideal customer or setting up marketing automation, contact Mike at Clear Brands Grow today.
Get clear and take action!
Founder & Consultant